Speeches by Justice Kenny
Current issues in the interpretation of federal legislation
This paper was delivered by Justice Kenny as part of the National Commercial Law Seminar Series, a joint initiative of the Federal Court of Australia, Monash Commercial Law Group, Faculty of Law, and the Commercial Bar Association, The Victorian Bar.
03 Sep 2013
Constitutional role of the Judge: Statutory interpretation
Delivered by Justice Kenny at a conference held under the auspices of the Judicial College of Victoria and the Melbourne Law School, The University Of Melbourne.
15 Mar 2013
The evolving jurisdiction of the Federal Court of Australia - administering justice in a federal system
Presented by Justice Kenny to the Seminar on the Jurisdiction of the Federal Courts, National Judicial Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Federal Court Act, Canada.
28 Oct 2011
Secrecy provisions: policy and practice
Presented to the National Information Law Conference 2011, by Justice Kenny
24 Mar 2011
In conversation with The Honourable Justice Susan Kenny
Published in the 'Intellectual Property Forum', issue 83 December 2010.
01 Dec 2010
The relationship between the judiciary and law reform bodies
Presented by Justice Kenny at ALRAC 2010.
01 Sep 2010
Seeing migration cases through one judge's spectacles
Presented by Justice Kenny to the Australian Women Lawyers Conference, Melbourne.
01 Jun 2008
Concepts of judicial responsibility: the contribution of the "one of seven"
Presented by Justice Kenny at a Conference honouring Mary Gaudron’s contribution to Australian law at the University of Melbourne Law School. Also published in Public Law Review, 15 (4) December 2004, pp. 283-288; and republished in (2008) 12 Southern Cross University Law Review 75.
05 Mar 2004
Women’s law collective: experiences of women in the courtroom
Presented by Justice Kenny to the Melbourne University Law School.
11 Aug 2003
Speech at the dinner in honour of the Right Hon Sir Ninian Stephen KG AK GCMG GCVO KBE
Speech by Justice Kenny at the Dinner in Honour of the Right Hon Sir Ninian Stephen KG AK GCMG GCVO KBE in Celebration of his 80th Birthday, Ormond College, University of Melbourne
24 Jul 2003
The High Court on constitutional law: the 2002 term
Presented by Justice Kenny at the 2003 Gilbert and Tobin Centre of Public Law Constitutional Law Conference, Sydney. [Also published in University of New South Wales Law Journal, vol. 26, no. 1, 2003, pp. 210-223].
21 Feb 2003
Interveners and amici curiae in the High Court
Paper by Justice Kenny, presented to Critical Perspectives on Australian Constitutional Law (1997: Australian National University), Adelaide Law Review, vol. 20, no.1, 1998, pp. 159-198.
01 Jan 1997
A selection of other papers
- ‘The Children of Mae La: Reflection on Regional Refugee Cooperation’: Joyce Chia and Susan Kenny (2012) 13(2) Melbourne Journal of International Law, pp 838-858
- "Concepts of Judicial Responsibility: the contribution of the ‘one of seven’": Susan Kenny (2008) 12 Southern Cross University Law Review, pp 75-86
- ‘Reflections’ in Jurisprudence as Practical Reason. A Celebration of the Collected Essays of John Finnis (edited by Mark Sayer and Aladin Rahemtula, Supreme Court of Queensland Library, 2013)
- ‘Colonies to Dominion, Dominion to Nation’ Chapter 10 in Historical Foundations of Australian Law, vol 1: Institutions, Concepts and Personalities (edited by JT Gleeson, JA Watson and RCA Higgins) The Federation Press, 2013
- ''Intercountry adoption in Australia' in Reform, Issue 92, Winter 2008
- 'Review of Australian Citizenship Law in Context, by Kim Rubenstein’, Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal, vol. 3, no. 1, Summer 2004
- ‘The legislative response to terrorism and the rule of law’ presented at the National Security Law Course at the University of Melbourne Law School, May 2004
- Speech delivered at a meeting of the Victorian Women Lawyers, November 2003
- ‘Recent developments in administrative law: the law relating to bias’, paper presented to AIAL Seminar Canberra 13 May 1998 [Also published in AIAL FORUM, (18) 1998: 23-30]
- 'Administrative law: some future constraints and goals’ in R. Creyke and J. McMillan (eds), The Kerr Vision of Australian Administrative Law, Centre for International and Public Law, ANU, Canberra, 1998, pp. 104-112
- 'More about the walrus and the carpenter – interveners in Australian courts’ The Sir Anthony Mason Lecture, University of Melbourne, 1997