About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 26 Apr 2019:
Croft v State of South Australia (Port Augusta Overlap Proceeding) (No 2)  FCA 581
NATIVE TITLE - application for one of the three overlapping claims for the determination of native title to be summarily dismissed pursuant to s 31A(2) of the Federal Court of Australia Act 1976 (Cth) and/or r 26.01 of the Federal Court Rules 2011 (Cth) - effect of findings in the determination of nearby claims - effect of the Barngarla People…
Judge: White J
- 16 Apr 2019:
Eagles on behalf of the Combined Thiin-Mah, Warriyangka, Tharrkari and Jiwarli People v State of Western Australia  FCA 508
NATIVE TITLE - consent determination - consideration of role of Court - consideration of s 87 of Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - resolution by agreement of claim for determination of native title
Judge: Murphy J
- 10 Apr 2019:
Buurabalayji Thalanyji Aboriginal Corporation v Onslow Salt Pty Ltd (No 3)  FCA 492
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application to strike out paragraphs of a defence to a cross-claim or alternatively, further particulars - application pursuant to r 16.21 and r 16.45 of the Federal Court Rules 2011 (Cth) - whether the pleading disclose the material facts
Judge: McKerracher J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.