About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 14 Feb 2019:
Blucher on behalf of the Gaangalu Nation People v State of Queensland  FCA 108
NATIVE TITLE - application for joinder as party to proceeding - whether the applicant for joinder has a relevant interest - whether interest may be affected by a determination in the proceedings - whether joinder is in interests of justice - where application opposed by claim group - where applicant claims membership in a rival claim group - where …
Judge: Rangiah J
- 5 Feb 2019:
Darkinjung Local Aboriginal Land Council v Attorney General of New South Wales  FCA 76
NATIVE TITLE - non-claimant applications for a determination that native title does not exist in respect of certain land and waters - applications granted
Judge: Griffiths J
- 22 Jan 2019:
Manado (on behalf of the Bindunbur Native Title Claim Group) v State of Western Australia  FCA 30
NATIVE TITLE - consent orders - whether more appropriate to proceed under s 81 of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) by adopting findings in other proceedings or under s 86G or s 87 where the application is unopposed or agreement is reached
Judge: Robertson J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.