About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 13 Dec 2018:
Gordon (on behalf of the Kariyarra Native Title Claim Group) v State of Western Australia (No 2)  FCA 1990
NATIVE TITLE - determination of native title by consent pursuant to s 87 of Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - appropriate to make orders
Judge: Barker J
- 7 Dec 2018:
Egan on behalf of the Wajarri Yamatji People (Part C) v State of Western Australia  FCA 1945
NATIVE TITLE - consent determination (Part C) - requirements of s 87 of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) satisfied - appropriate to make orders
Judge: Griffiths J
- 6 Dec 2018:
Gilla on behalf of the Yugunga-Nya People v State of Western Australia  FCA 1976
Judge: Barker J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.