About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 10 Aug 2018:
West Wyalong Local Aboriginal Land Council v Attorney-General of New South Wales  FCA 1194
NATIVE TITLE - non-claimant application under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth)- where applicant/Aboriginal Land Council prevented from dealing with the land by the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 (NSW) absent a determination of no native title - role of State Minister in such cases - where application not opposed - observations as to the caution to …
Judge: Perry J
- 3 Aug 2018:
Darkinjung Local Aboriginal Land Council v Attorney-General of New South Wales  FCA 1136
NATIVE TITLE - non-claimant application for a determination that native title does not exist in respect of particular land - application granted
Judge: Griffiths J
- 1 Aug 2018:
Muriata on behalf of the Girramay People #2 v State of Queensland  FCA 1120
NATIVE TITLE - consent determination - requirements of s 87 of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth)
Judge: Rangiah J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.