About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 20 Oct 2017:
Buurabalayji Thalanyji Aboriginal Corporation v Onslow Salt Pty Ltd  FCA 1240
PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE - application for stay of proceedings - exercise of discretion to grant stay - whether respondent has failed to comply with dispute resolution clause CONTRACT - construction of dispute resolution clause - whether dispute resolution clause applicable to the dispute - whether nature of dispute falls within the ambit of the…
Judge: McKerracher J
- 19 Oct 2017:
I.S. (Deceased) on behalf of the Wajarri Yamatji People (Part A) v State of Western Australia  FCA 1215
NATIVE TITLE - consent determination - requirements of ss 87A and 94A of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) satisfied - appropriate to make orders
Judge: Griffiths J
- 16 Oct 2017:
Lyndon on behalf of the Budina People v State of Western Australia  FCA 1214
NATIVE TITLE - consent determination - requirements of ss 87 and 94A of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) satisfied - appropriate to make orders
Judge: Griffiths J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 17 Aug 2017:
Indigenous Land Rights: Australia’s response following Mabo - the present and the future
Presented by Justice Mansfield as the Inaugural John Mansfield Lecture at the University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
- 16 Jun 2015:
Zen and the art of native title negotiation
Presented by Justice Barker at the 2015 National Native Title Conference, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.