About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 19 Jun 2019:
Northern Land Council v Quall (No 2)  FCAFC 101
Judge: Griffiths, Mortimer and White JJ
- 19 Jun 2019:
Tweed Byron Local Aboriginal Land Council v Attorney General of New South Wales  FCA 936
NATIVE TITLE - non-claimant application under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - where applicant/Aboriginal Land Council prevented from dealing with the land by the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 (NSW) absent a determination of no native title - whether vesting of estate in fee simple in a State statutory body under s 43, Public Works Act 1912…
Judge: Perry J
- 24 May 2019:
Kemppi v Adani Mining Pty Ltd  FCAFC 94
APPEAL AND NEW TRIAL - application to amend notice of appeal and fourth further amened statement of claim to raise new issue following recent Full Court decision - where appellants seek to withdraw admission and raise new factual issues - exercise of discretion by appellate court - fairness to the parties - where further evidence required - where…
Judge: Rares, Robertson and Perry JJ
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
- 4 Jun 2014:
Characterising native title rights: a desert rose by any other name....
Presented at the National Native Title Conference 2014 - Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Coffs Harbour, 4 June 2014, by Justice Perry.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.