About this NPA
The Native Title National Practice Area (NPA) including applications relating to:
- native title claims concerning the rights and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to land and waters according to their traditional laws and customs, including determinations, revised native title determination applications, compensation applications, claim registration applications, applications to remove agreements from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements and applications about the transfer of records
- reviews or appeals from decisions of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- matters arising under or in relation to any Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) or other agreement made under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (Native Title), or concerning a Prescribed Body Corporate (which holds or manages native title under the Act).
- 13 May 2021:
WG & DK Ryan Pty Ltd (Trustee) v State of Queensland  FCA 499
NATIVE TITLE - non-claimant application for determination of native title under s 61(1) of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) ('NTA') - determination sought under s 86G of the NTA that no native title exists over the determination area - whether within power and appropriate to make the order sought - order made in the terms sought
Judge: Sc Derrington J
- 7 May 2021:
Lawson on behalf of the Badimaya Barna Guda People v State of Western Australia (No 2)  FCA 468
NATIVE TITLE interlocutor - application seeking orders for dismissal of native title application pursuant to s 190F(6) of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) or strike out pursuant to s 84C(1) - where s 61 claimant application for native title determination not accepted for registration - proceeding dismissed
Judge: Mortimer J
- 6 May 2021:
Forrest on behalf of the Nangaanya-ku Native Title Claim Group v State of Western Australia  FCA 467
NATIVE TITLE - three interlocutory applications for joinder as respondent parties to a s 61 native title application - whether the proposed respondent parties should be joined to the proceeding pursuant to s 84(5) of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) - "interests of justice" to be assessed in particular circumstances of this case - interlocutory…
Judge: Griffiths J
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 20 Oct 2017:
The rule of law and reconciliation
An opening address to the Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers' Conference, by Justice Jagot
- 4 Feb 2016:
Expert anthropological evidence - a Judge’s perspective
Presented to the Future of Native Title Anthropology Conference at Brisbane by Justice Rangiah.
- 4 Jun 2014:
Characterising native title rights: a desert rose by any other name....
Presented at the National Native Title Conference 2014 - Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Coffs Harbour, 4 June 2014, by Justice Perry.
Form & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing “main applications” are:
- Commencing a native title determination application by a claimant:
- Commencing a determination application by a non-claimant:
- Commencing a compensation application:
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.