About this NPA
The Taxation National Practice Area (NPA) includes proceedings relating to:
- tax appeals pursuant to Part IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 from decisions made by the Commissioner of Taxation
- questions of law and taxation on appeal from the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
- any recovery or other proceeding collateral to a tax dispute.
- 22 Sep 2020:
Commissioner of Taxation v Pike  FCAFC 158
TAXATION - Australia and Thailand double taxation treaty Art 4(3) - "tiebreaker" provisions regarding residency - where respondent's de facto wife and children lived in Australia and respondent worked in Thailand -whether respondent had an habitual abode in both Australia and Thailand - whether assessment based on more than days spent in one…
Judge: Davies, White and Steward JJ
- 21 Sep 2020:
Advanced Holdings Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 157
TAXATION - application for leave to appeal from interlocutory decisions to dismiss summarily an application to quash amended assessments made pursuant to s. 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903 (Cth.) and to give summary judgment in favour of Commissioner in recovery proceedings - where applicant made allegations of illegal conduct in assessment process…
Judge: Allsop CJ, Bromwich and Steward JJ
- 18 Sep 2020:
Eichmann v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 155
TAXATION - appeal from judgment of Federal Court of Australia setting aside decision of Administrative Appeals Tribunal in relation to private ruling - where ruled facts stated that relevant entity carried on a business of building, bricklaying and paving - where taxpayer sought ruling that a block of land used by that business for storage of work …
Judge: McKerracher, Steward and Stewart JJ
Latest Speeches & Papers
- 29 Oct 2019:
Presented at the Melbourne Law School 14th Annual Tax Lecture, by Justice Davies.
- 9 Mar 2018:
The continuing evolution of the 'best interests' duty for superannuation trustees from Cowan v Scargill to the current regulatory framework
Presented at the 2018 Superannuation Conference, Canberra, by Justice Moshinsky.
- 15 Mar 2016:
Model litigant obligations: What are they and how are they enforced?
Paper presented by Eugene Wheelahan at the Ethics Seminar Series, Federal Court of Australia, 15 March 2016.
- 24 Mar 2017: Tax Bar Association: The ethical considerations of alleging conscious maladministration or improper purpose
Forms & Rules
The key forms and rules for commencing tax matters are:
- Appeals under Part IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 against an objection decision including private rulings:
- Appeals from the AAT under the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975:
- Applications for judicial review under section 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903:
The Pro Forma Taxation Questionnaire is also relevant.
To stay up-to-date with news in the Federal Court, including developments in this NPA, subscribe to our email subscription services.
We provide subscriptions to the latest judgments and events (by NPA); Practice News to keep up-to-date with changes to practice and procedure; and Daily Court Listings.